Gluten Free Crumble Bars
These are easy and fun to make. If you do not have blueberries you can use whatever fruit you want. You can even use frozen fruit.
- 1 cup coconut sugar My fav is from Madhava- it is organic and on Amazon
- 3 cups gluten free flour blend My fav is Bobs Red Mill 1-1. It is the stuff in the blue bag
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 dash salt Optional
- 1 cup no salt butter cut into 8 pieces
- 4 cups fresh blueberries Frozen will work but thaw them first
- 1/4 cup golden monk fruit sweetener My fav is by Lakanto but you could also use more coconut sugar if you do not have any monk fruit
- 4 tsp corn, potato or arrowroot starch Try and make sure it is non-gmo
- 1 lemon juice it and zest it
- 1 whole egg room temp if you can
- 2-4 tbsp maple syrup OPTIONAL at the end once they are out of the oven
Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees and line a baking dish 9x13 with parchment paper.
In your mixing bowl, mix one cup of the coconut sugar, the flour, the baking powder and the salt. Give it a 45 second or so mix then cut in your butter. Do this in small stages so you can get that crumbly pie crust texture. I usually run my mixture for around 30 seconds at at time. You can also use a fork and mix this in a large mixing bowl.
Next beat in the egg. The dough should start to come together.
In another small bowl add your blueberries, the lakanto sugar, the lemon juice and zest and your starch. CAREFULLY mix them together. I like to let it sit for about 5 minutes so the fruit absorbs all the flavors.
Slowly and carefully fold in the blueberry mixture into your crumb mixture and press the mixture into your prepared pan. You will want to gently push down on any loose blueberries so they hunker into the batter.
Bake for about 40-50 minutes depending on how your oven cooks. If you want to add a touch more sweetness to them carefully drizzle a few tablespoons of maple syrup over them. Let them cool completely before you dig in.