Shut the front door! OMG this turned out so much better than I could have…
Mondays are all about the donuts right? And while we are talking donuts is it donuts or doughnuts? I have always been a tad confused on this one. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I recently found out that I have a food sensitivity to egg whites. I LOVE EGGS and not only baked with them all the time I also ate them 3-5 times a week for breakfast. I have not successfully baked with flax eggs or any other egg replacement before so this is going to be a challenge.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
No time to pout though, instead I went into the kitchen opened my pantry, and got to work. This was my first go at gluten-free vegan donuts and I think they were pretty dang good if I say so myself. I am not a vegan but I since vegans do not eat eggs I am calling this recipe vegan. Is that lame? I will be posting a lot more recipes as I explore this new adventure so maybe I will label them egg-free instead of vegan. What do you think?
Gluten-Free Vegan Donuts
- Donut pan- mine had room for 6 donuts.
- Mixing bowl
- Pan for the stove
- 1 1/4 cup self-rising gluten-free flour blend see notes
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanillla
- 1/8 cup melted coconut oil you can use butter if you want
- 1/2 cup plant-based milk
- 1 cup chocolate chips enjoy life has some great dairy-free chips
- 3/4 cup coconut cream
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Spray your donut pan with avocado oil or any other cooking spray you have.
- In your mixing bowl add all of the ingredients. Mix carefully and do not over mix.
- Carefully spoon your dough into the donut pan making sure not to overfill them.
- Bake them for approx. 14 minutes. The time varies according to how your oven cooks. Use the toothpick method to determine when they are done. Let them cool completly before you pick at them 🙂
- Place a saucepan on the stove and over low heat and warm up your coconut creme. After the creme is just hot enough to melt your chocolate chips take your pan off the stove. The coconut creme should be warm to the touch but not so hot it hurts your finger. Do not let the coconut creme boil.
- Place your chocolate chips and coconut oil in a mixing bowl and pour your warm coconut creme over the chocolate chips and coconut oil. Place a towel or plate over the mixing bowl and let it sit for 3-4 minutes. After 3-4 minutes take the plate off and mix your frosting together. Everything should be melted and ready to go, if it is not you can place the bowl in the microwave for 10-15 seconds. (make sure it is a microwave-safe bowl)
- Once the donuts are cooled take a small spatula and frost your donuts. I like to add the toppings right away while the frosting is still wet to ensure the toppings stick to the donuts.
- Once your donuts are all frosted and topped with your favorite goodies place them in the refrigerator so the chocolate can firm up. Of course, before you do this grab a cuppa tea and one of those beauties and get on the couch and take a break. You have worked hard.
- 2 cups Gluten-Free All Purpose Baking Flour
- 1 cup Potato Starch
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Tapioca Flour
- 7 tsp Baking Powder
- 5 tsp Baking Soda
- 4 tsp Xanthan Gum
- 1/2 cup Sugar. ( optional )