freshly backed cookies with chocolate chips and walnut slices - background Everyone loves a good…
Chocolate lovers get ready to have your mouth explode and your willpower to be completely shot. These gluten-free, vegan marshmallow cookies are flipping out of this world. This is one of the rare times that I put a recipe together and it worked the first time. There is not one thing I would change with this recipe.
I promise you that you will not miss the gluten or the dairy in this cookie recipe. The only thing I want to warn you about is portion control. These babies are rich so one is enough.
You will need:
a parchment paper-lined baking sheet
flax meal (you can use an egg instead of the flax egg if you do not want to make it vegan)
vegan butter (you can use regular butter if you do not want to make it vegan)
coconut milk powder
dark chocolate chips
I made this recipe vegan because but you do not have to make it this way. You can use a real egg instead of the flax egg and you can use real butter instead of vegan butter. I used enjoy dark chocolate chips, earth’s balance vegan butter and dandies vegan mini marshmallows.
Gluten-free, Vegan Chocolate Marshmallow Cookie
- Parchment lined baking tray
- 1/2 cup vegan butter regular butter will work fine too
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tbsps pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp real vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup cacao powder cocoa will work fine too
- 1 cup gluten-free flour Bob's Red Mill 1-1 works best
- 1 tbsp coconut milk powder see recipe notes
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup vegan mini marshmallows regular mini marshmallows will work fine too
- 1 cup dairy-free chocolate chips regular chocolate chips will work fine too
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed see recipe notes
- Preheat your oven to 350. Line a baking tray with parchment paper
Flax Egg (skip this step and use one egg instead if you do not want to make it vegan)
- Take 1 tablespoon flax meal and mix it with 3 tablespoons of water. Place in the refrigerator for 5 minutes. This is a vegan substitute for an egg
- In a large bowl or food mixer add your vegan butter, coconut sugar, vanilla and maple syrup. Mix until you reach a creamy consistency. Grab your flax egg out of the refrigerator and mix it into your batter
- Whisk in your gluten-free flour, cacao powder, coconut milk powder, baking soda and salt. Once the dry ingredients are mixed in well with the butter/sugar/maple syrup and vanilla batter add in your chocolate chips and marshmallows.
- Scoop out a golf ball size amount of batter and roll it in your hands to make it a pretty smooth ball and place the cookie batter on your parchment-lined baking sheet. You can use an ice cream scoop as well if you want to make sure and get a perfectly shaped and consistent cookie. I then use the palm of my hand and squish the top down just a tad to flatten the cookie a little. You can skip this step if you want.
- Place the cookie sheet in the oven and bake for 17 minutes. Please check your oven after 15 minutes to see if they are done. Every oven is different. Once the cookies are done move them to a wire cooling rack to let cool for 5-10 minutes.
To make a flax egg all you need to do is take one tbsp of flax meal and mix it with 3 tbsp of water. Place it in the refrigerator for 5-10 minutes so it can set up. Here is a video that might help you if you have never done this before.
If you do not want to make this recipe vegan then you can substitute the flax egg for a real egg.
I love using coconut milk powder in my baked goods. Not all coconut milk powders are the same, read your ingredients. This is my favorite, It is organic, gluten and dairy-free and NON GMO. I use this powder in my coffee, smoothies and a lot of my baked goods. When you use this coconut milk powder in your recipes you wil find it add a great creaminess to the results.
I use cacao in my recipes but you can also use cocoa. Cacao is a little less processed so this is why I like it. You can find cacao at most stores nowadays. This is one of my favorites.
If you do not want to make this recipe vegan you can use any chocolate chips, butter and any marshmallows. In this recipe I used enjoy life chips. earth’s balance vegan butter and dandies mini marshmallows.
It is my hope you like these as much as I did. I would love to hear from you if you make them. Tag me on social media @judysglutenfreepantry. It puts a smile on my face 🙂